Public Meeting: Beechwood Cemetery- September 13, 2022
TOWN OF FORESTPORT
SPECIAL MEETING MINUTES
FORESTPORT TOWN HALL
10275 State Rt. 28, Forestport, NY 13338
September 13, 2022 @ 3:00P.M.
PRESENT: Supervisor Entwistle
ABSENT: Councilwoman Abrial
RECORDING SECRETARY: Tracy Terry, Town Clerk
CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 3:00 pm by Supervisor Entwistle. Supervisor Entwistle read the legal notice aloud.
“Notice is hereby given that the Town Board of the Town of Forestport will be holding a Special Meeting at 3:00 pm on September 13, 2022, at the Forestport Town Hall, 10275 Route 28, Forestport NY 13338. The purpose of the hearing is to review and accept comments from any and all persons having interest or business concerning Beechwood Cemetery, located at 1090 Cemetery Road, Forestport, NY 13338”.
• Supervisor Entwistle started the meeting by stating the Beechwood Cemetery Board has been passing on. Before Pete Scouten passed away, he asked Supervisor Entwistle to help the Beechwood Cemetery Association out. Joe Hebert is currently the only member on the Beechwood Cemetery Board. If something happened to him, the Town would have to take it over.
• Supervisor Entwistle stated he reached out to Joan Ingersoll, to see if she would be interested in being on the Temporary Board and help with the financial records. Supervisor Entwistle said he opened the box that was brought into the town office, from Betty Winters house and there was a letter from Adirondack Bank dated August of 2021 stating their account was inactive and the funds would be turned over to the State Comptroller’s Office as unclaimed funds. The Cemetery’s M&T account has also been turned over to the State Comptroller’s office as unclaimed funds, Supervisor Entwistle called the Boonville Adirondack Bank and the Branch Manager will be looking into it. He also asked John Jones to bring all the records from Betty Winter’s house to the Town Hall.
• Joan Ingersoll stated she has contacts at Community Bank and will be reaching out to them.
• Supervisor Entwistle asked Joe Hebert to stay on the Board temporarily until a Permanent Board is set up.
• Supervisor Entwistle asked people from the gallery who was interested in being on the Temporary Board. Joe Hebert, Joan Ingersoll, Art Gleasman, Kaitlyn Hebert and Kim Scouten volunteered. He stated the goal would be 6 months to straighten it out.
• Supervisor Entwistle stated he is going to get a copy of Betty Winter’s death certificate for Joe Hebert as he is the last surviving member of the Board, to bring it to the bank.
• Art Gleasman is the new contact person for the Beechwood Cemetery.
• Supervisor Entwistle thanked John and Pete for doing all the work at the Cemetery for free and the Town Maintenance workers will continue to empty the garbage, clean up branches and trees.
• The next Cemetery meeting is scheduled for November 10th at 3 pm for the Cemetery Board, not the Town Board.
A motion was made by Councilman Scouten and seconded by Councilwoman Kardash to adjourn the meeting.
Roll call vote:
Councilwoman Kardash -yes
Councilman Scouten- yes
Councilwoman Abrial – absent
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 3:23 pm by Supervisor Entwistle.
Tracy M. Terry
Forestport Town Clerk