Budget Workshop Meeting- October 2, 2023
TOWN OF FORESTPORT
Forestport Town Hall
10275 State Rte. 28
Forestport, NY 13338
2024 Budget Workshop Minutes
October 2, 2023 @ 6:00 PM
Members Present: Supervisor Entwistle
Councilwoman Verschneider- via ZOOM
Members Absent: No members of the Town Board were absent.
Other Town Officials Present:
Tracy Terry, Town Clerk
Dawn Campbell, Bookkeeper to the Supervisor
1. CALL TO ORDER:
The workshop meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM by Supervisor Entwistle.
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited, and Supervisor Entwistle read aloud the legal notice.
3. BUDGET DISCUSSIONS
Water District #1: This is the same as last year.
Buckhorn Water District #2: This is the same as last year. They are going to put a heater and dehumidifier and a new roof on. Supervisor Entwistle stated he is going to have Jen get a grant for it. They want a gallon counter in case they have a leak.
SEWER: The amount is about what it usually is if you take the project out of it.
FIRE: The Fire tax is 84 cents/1,000. Councilwoman Kardash asked if they could do a onetime increase for the radios. Councilwoman stated she is for the taxpayers and supports the Fire, Ambulance and the roads. Steve Addison, from the Gallery asked if the board could earmark the $2,000 for equipment for the departments. Supervisor Entwistle answered only if they have a Fire District. The radios are $4,000 each. Councilwoman asked what the cancer insurance costs annually. It was answered around $3,000 for all three departments. Tom Abrial, from the gallery thanked the current Town Board for making the Fire Departments presentation easy.
Councilwoman Kardash stated they are supporting two ambulances.. Supervisor Entwistle stated he would like to give them 5%. StaR Ambulance will get a 5% increase. Old Forge Ambulance will remain the same as last year.
Highway: Tax rate has decreased to 87 cents/1,000.
• Highway Clerk: Dorothy is going to retire at the end of the year. Bill is asking for a Part Time Clerk, 12 hours a week. This position will not have any benefits. Councilman Scouten suggested having someone going in now for training.
General: The general tax is 19 cents per $1,000.
• Buildings and Grounds Position: Supervisor Entwistle discussed increasing the position to 40 hours a week instead of 32. Discussion took place regarding the helpers. The 40 hours will get Jim time to train the new hire when he retires and plow when necessary.
• Youth Program: This was raised for Summer Recreation, Art Program, skiing and Camp Nazareth. It increased from $15,000-$18,000.
• Historical Property: Supervisor Entwistle put another $6800 in this line to redo more books.
• Planning Board of appeals: $7500 is in the budget for the Planning Board of Appeals.
• Dump Day: This has increased to $10,000. The Forestport Fire Department didn’t bring their dumpster to dump day this year, so the town had to pay to remove the steel this year.
• Next year is the last year for the building loan.
A motion was made by Councilwoman Kardash and seconded by Councilwoman Abrial to adjourn the meeting. Roll call vote:
5 ayes/ 0 nays/0 absent MOTION CARRIED
There being no further business, the workshop adjourned at 7:12 PM.
Tracy M. Terry
Forestport Town Clerk