Position Opening – Bookkeeper to the Supervisor Position
The Town of Forestport is currently seeking applicants for the Bookkeeper to the Supervisor position, beginning January 2024
The person is responsible for all aspects of bookkeeping for the Town of Forestport including payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, recording of purchase orders, fiscal controls, benefits administration and any other related duties as assigned.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the job if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this job. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Keeps all books and records as required under governmental accounting, auditing, and financial reporting standards. Responsible for maintaining the General Ledger accounting module, including reconciling all general ledger accounts, maintaining general ledger journal entries, balance sheets, trial balances, chart of accounts, funds and fund descriptions.
• Works in concert with the Town Clerk on posting cash receipts and coordinating disbursements and appropriate reports.
• Responsible for preparing for and providing all records necessary for the annual or special audits.
• Assists in the establishment and maintenance of a system of internal controls to ensure adequate checks and balances, separation of duties, transparency, and security of municipal assets.
• Develops monthly year-to-date reports and other financial reports to keep the town supervisor, department heads and elected boards up to date on the budget status. Prepares other financial reports as necessary to ensure municipal officials are fully aware of their municipal finances.
• Manages the accounting software system.
• Ensures warrants and disbursement orders are prepared on a timely basis.
• Responsible for providing oversight of processing employees into and out of town employment. Additionally, provides assistance to the town supervisor in the
administration of employee benefits, which includes data submissions and reporting to 3rd party retirement system and deferred compensation administrators, managing employee insurance benefits and reporting to state agencies.
• Ensures that timely and accurate filings are made with government agencies.
• This includes, but is not limited to, quarterly payroll tax returns and annual W-2’s and 1099’s.
• Works closely with Utility Billing/Tax Clerk to ensure accurate billing and account maintenance.
A minimum of five years of experience performing computer automated accounting, budgeting, and other financially related analytical tasks. A working knowledge of GAAP and GASB standards is beneficial. A degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or a closely related field or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and ability for this job will be considered.
Specialized Technical Skills:
Knowledge of computer hardware and software, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook is required. Experience and knowledge of accounting software packages that include payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger is a must; experience using NEMRC strongly preferred.
Salary will be based on experience, partial health benefits as well as excellent retirement and paid time off. The salary is between $35,000-$45,000.
Interested qualified applicants may submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by December 1, 2023